Sunday 5 August 2012

Dye-tastic

Cough,splutter, hack. Sorry I've been a bit MIA lately in blog/sewing land, I managed to catch a flu cold thing that's going around at work. So my weekend's mostly consisted of watching movies, eating takeaway and lying on the couch. But that's nice in it's own way. One exciting thing I did get onto was dying some fabric.


Everything and the kitchen sink.

I bought this creamy woven fabric at Flemington markets quite a few months back. Flemington markets are like these giant trash and treasure markets on a Saturday morning. I saw the flowers poking out the side of a mound of fabric and thought it would make a cute dress so I tried to pull out all the fabric.....and pulled.....and pulled..... there was about 6 metres of fabric! Anyway the guy gave it all to me for $5 which was brilliant but then I realised cream and my skin really don't go together. I've never dyed fabric before and was a bit concerned that the colour of the flowers would change but thought I'd just cut off a few metres and give it a try.

Volia!



The old and new
The plan now is for this to be made into a dress. I made a muslin of the pattern I'm using the other day and now just need to iron and cut out this fabric. Lately I've had a bit of a sewing lull, just haven't felt like sitting down and putting my brain into it. I think partly it's been such gorgeous weather I've just wanted to lie around outside and soak up as much vitamin d as possible!

On a completely different note, have you ever played this game called Puerto Rico? Holy banana, it's amazing.*

Growing my indigo

Here's some delicious garlic prawns made on the bbw. om nom nom.


* not because I've won twice, although that perhaps helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment